Main fields of research & interest
- Technology entrepreneurship
- Innovation and inequality
- University-industry interaction
- Entrepreneurial cognition
Dr. Maximilian Göthner
Tel: +49 3641 943260
|2012-present||Post-doc researcher, University of Jena|
|2006-2011||Ph.D. in Economics, University of Jena, Thesis title: "From lab to market place: An empirical investigation of the emergence and early performance of academic spin-off companies" (Grade: summa cum laude)|
|1999-2005||Diploma in Business Administration (Main focus: Economics of Innovation, Operations Research, International Management), University of Jena|
- Cantner, U., Goethner, M., Silbereisen, R. K. (2017). Schumpeter’s entrepreneur – A rare case, Journal of Evolutionary Economics, 27(1), 187-214.
- Obschonka, M., Silbereisen, R. K., Cantner, U., Goethner, M. (2015). Entrepreneurial self-identity: Predictors and effects within the theory of planned behavior framework, Journal of Business and Psychology, 30(4), 773-794.
- Cantner, U., Goethner, M., Stuetzer, M. (2013). Does new venture teams’ functional heterogeneity help or hinder start-up performance?, Homo Oeconomics, 30(2), 163-182.
- Schwartz, M., Goethner, M., Michelsen, C., Waldmann, N. (2013). Start-up competitions as instrument of entrepreneurship policy: The German experience, European Planning Studies, 21(10), 1578-1597.
- Stuetzer, M., Goethner, M., Cantner, U. (2012). Do balanced skills help nascent entrepreneurs to make progress in the venture creation process?, Economics Letters, 117(1), 186-188.
- Goethner, M., Obschonka, M., Silbereisen, R. K., Cantner, U. (2012). Scientists’ transition to academic entrepreneurship: Economic and psychological determinants, Journal of Economic Psychology, 33(3), 628-641.
- Obschonka, M., Goethner, M., Silbereisen, R. K., Cantner, U. (2012). Social identity and the transition to entrepreneurship: The role of group identification with workplace peers, Journal of Vocational Behavior, 80(1), 137-147.
- Schwartz, M., Goethner, M. (2009). A multidimensional evaluation of the effectiveness of business incubators: An application of the PROMETHEE outranking method, Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 27(6), 1072-1087.
- Goethner, M. (in press). International research collaboration and academic entrepreneurship: Evidence from Germany, in: Siegel, D., Fini, R., Grimaldi, R. (Eds.), Process Approach to Academic Entrepreneurship: Evidence from the Globe, Singapore: World Scientific Publishing, 55-80.
- Cantner, U., Goethner, M., Meder, A. (2010), Prior knowledge and entrepreneurial innovative success, in: Freytag, A., Thurik, R. (Eds.), Entrepreneurship and Culture, New York: Springer, 79-94.
- Cantner, U., Goethner, M., Stuetzer, M. (2010), Disentangling the effects of new venture team functional heterogeneity on new venture performance, Jena Economic Research Papers, 2010-29.
- Goethner, M., Obschonka, M., Silbereisen, R. K. (2009), Approaching the Agora – Determinants of scientists’ intentions to pursue academic entrepreneurship, Jena Economic Research Papers, 2009-079.
- Schwartz, M., Goethner, M. (2009), A novel approach to incubator evaluations: The PROMETHEE outranking procedures, IWH-Discussion Papers, 1/2009.
- Hemer, J., Schleinkofer, M., Goethner, M. (2007), Akademische Spin-offs – Erfolgsbedingungen für Ausgründungen aus Forschungseinrichtungen, Studien des Büros für Technikfolgen-Abschätzung beim Deutschen Bundestag (TAB), Bd. 22 [Academic spin-offs - Success factors for business start-ups from public research organizations, Studies on behalf of the Office for Technology Assessment at the German Bundestag (TAB), Volume 22], Berlin: edition sigma.
- Hemer, J., Berteit, H., Walter, G., Goethner, M. (2006), Erfolgsfaktoren für Unternehmensausgründungen aus der Wissenschaft [Success factors for academic spin-offs], Stuttgart: Fraunhofer IRB.
Academic awards & distinctions
- Dorothy Harlow Best Paper Award (Honorable Mention) for the Paper Functional Heterogeneity as a Two-Dimensional Concept: Empirical Evidence for New Venture Teams, Academy of Management, Gender and Diversity in Organizations Division, 2011.
Review activities for journals
- Economics Letters
- International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management
- International Small Business Journal
- Journal of Economic Psychology
- Journal of Evolutionary Economics
- Journal of International Development
- Journal of Technology Transfer
- Research Policy
- Small Business Economics
Conferences & workshops
- Workshop “Knowledge and Technology Transfer and Beyond”, Dresden (Germany), 20-22 September 2017
- 10th European Meeting on Applied Evolutionary Economics (EMAEE), Strasbourg (France), 31 May–03 June 2017
- Conference on the “Economic, Technological and Societal Impact of Entrepreneurial Ecosystems”, Augsburg (Germany), 16-17 March 2017
- CGDE Doctoral Workshop, Jena (Germany), 13-14 March 2017
- 3rd International ZEW Conference on the Dynamics of Entrepreneurship (CoDE II), Mannheim (Germany), 06-07 June 2016
- 9th Summer Academy on Innovation and Uncertainty, Jena (Germany), 26 July-08 August 2015
- Workshop “Economics of Entrepreneurship and Innovation”, Trier (Germany), 02-03 June 2015
- Workshop “Science-Based Entrepreneurship”, Bologna (Italy), 07-08 May 2015
- 15th International Schumpeter Society Conference, Jena (Germany), 27-30 July 2014
- 2nd International ZEW Conference on the Dynamics of Entrepreneurship (CoDE II), Mannheim (Germany), 22-23 May 2014
- Workshop “Beyond spillovers? Channels and effects of knowledge transfer from universities”, Kassel (Germany), 06–07 March 2014
- Technology Transfer Society Conference 2013, Bergamo (Italy), 09–10 November 2013
- 35th DRUID Celebration Conference, Barcelona (Spain), 17-19 June 2013
- 14th International Schumpeter Society Conference, Brisbane (Australia), 02-05 July 2012
- 1st Potsdam PhD Workshop in Empirical Economics “Economics of Entrepreneurship”, Potsdam (Germany), 11-13 June 2012
- The 2012 Conference on Entrepreneurial Universities, Münster (Germany), 25-27 April 2012
- 10th Interdisciplinary European Conference on Entrepreneurship Research “Entrepreneurship and Innovation” (IECER), Regensburg (Germany), 15–17 February 2012
- 71st Academy of Management Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX (USA), 12-16 August 2011
- Technology Transfer Society Conference 2011, Augsburg (Germany), 21–23 September 2011
- DIME Final Conference, Maastricht (The Netherlands), 06–08 April 2011
- 8th Interdisciplinary European Conference on Entrepreneurship Research “Academic Entrepreneurship” (IECER), Regensburg (Germany), 10–12 March 2010
- DRUID-DIME Winter Conference 2010, Aalborg (Denmark), 21–23 January 2010
- FIRB-RISC KITeS “Research and Entrepreneurship in the Knowledge-Based Economy” Conference, Milan (Italy), 07–08 September 2009
- Babson College Entrepreneurship Research Conference 2009, Wellesley, MA (USA), 04–06 June 2009
- 6th European Meeting on Applied Evolutionary Economics (EMAEE), Jena (Germany), 21–23 May 2009
- 12th Annual Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship Conference (G-Forum), Dortmund (Germany), 06–07 November 2008
- 5th European Meeting on Applied Evolutionary Economics (EMAEE), Manchester (UK), 17–19 May 2007
English (Master level)
- Economics of Innovation I: Innovation Decisions (Lecture + Tutorial in winter 2011/12 – 2012/13)
- Economics of Innovation (Seminar in summer 2012 – 2017, winter 2012/13 – 2017/18)
German (Bachelor level)
- Microeconomic Theory (Lecture + Tutorial in winter 2011/12 – 2017/18)
- Introduction to the Economics of Innovation (Lecture in summer 2012 – 2017)
- Selected Issues of the Economics of Innovation (Seminar in winter 2012/13 – 2017/18)